The Medical School building on the University of Kent campus
The Medical School building on the Canterbury Christ Church University campus
Our vision for Kent and Medway Medical School is driven by an urgent need to improve the healthcare provision available to the people of Kent and Medway. With a growing population, currently standing at just under 2 million, the region is characterised by a chronic shortage of GPs and immense stress on health care service providers who are working in an increasingly complex and multi-professional context. We have all experienced the effects, whether we’ve struggled to secure an appointment with a doctor, faced long waiting long times for results and treatment, or struggled to access appropriate care for a loved one with complex needs.
How KMMS will help
- by transforming healthcare in Kent and Medway;
- training 100 doctors per year from 2020 to become world-leading scholars and researchers who are excellent doctors with the skills and abilities to find global solutions to local challenges;
- providing innovative teaching, research and leadership by recruiting excellent educators to make Kent and Medway an attractive region in which to study medicine;
- working in partnership with regional healthcare providers to offer placements within primary, secondary and community care, embedding students into our local communities and encouraging them to remain in the area to serve local needs;
- offering our student doctors the opportunity to appreciate the importance of holistic, integrated, multi-professional care while they acquire the professional values, behaviours, skills and knowledge required of modern medical practitioners.
Support Our Campaign
Each university is making a significant contribution, together with the South East Learning and Enterprise Partnership and the NHS, but we need your help.
Our aims are:
- to raise £30M in philanthropic funding to support KMMS, secured from with grant-makers, research grants, corporate partners and individuals.
- secure partnerships to support KMMS through initial set up and beyond.
Find out how you can be involved.